Life has its own difficulties, it is just the way it is, but if you only experience downs all the time; it is time to check on your self-esteem. Self-esteem is a buzzword these days. Everyone is into it, but do you know what it is and how can you tell the difference between having high self-esteem and narcissistic behavior?
Healthy self-esteem is not self-absorbed and self-obsessed like that of a narcissistic one. It carries a self-perception and self-care and has a serving mentality. Serving others, along with serving oneself, is needed for healthy self-esteem to develop. Giving is a huge part of receiving. As you invest some TLC in others and also in yourself, you will see it reciprocated. It sure is the gateway to boost your self-esteem.
Let’s dive into some of the self-esteem activities you can do as an adult.
- Cleaning your space:- a clean space does wonders to your mind. When you spend time in a cluttered space, you feel suffocated. This influences your creativity and confidence. Decluttering can give you a clear headspace on what you can accomplish for the day and it sure can change your moods into a cheerful one.
- Using essential oils in your space is also the way you can boost your self-esteem. You feel great when you smell good, don’t you? Several studies have shown how aromatherapy influences your well-being. It activates your feel-good hormones, such as endorphins. You must try it as science backs it up.
- Having good hygiene:- who could have thought that? But it is true, and this activity has been tried, tested, and proven over time. Maintaining good hygiene has a wonderful effect on your self-esteem.
- Having a good self-care routine. A good self-care routine doesn’t have to be tough, or it sure doesn’t have to be expensive.
You can have a good self-care routine right at the comfort of your home through all these techniques:-
- A fifteen minutes cardio releases all those mood enhancer hormones.
- A relaxing bath routine can do wonders for your body. Relaxing in the bathtub, with some music on or a delightful book with some scented candles, gives out a positive message to your body.
- Treating yourself with healthy food should also be a part of your self-care routine. Taking an extra effort to follow a healthy diet influences your mind. You are what you eat.
- Writing your thoughts:- this habit helps you to understand yourself more. Healthy self-esteem thrives on that. You need to know yourself more to make a firm decision as every time life bombards you with a lot of decisions, developing a good decision-making ability will help you maintain healthy self-esteem.
- Maintaining a gratitude diary. One of the worst you can do is to forget to count your blessings. When life throws you on a curveball, it is inbuilt in you to think negatively of yourself, but you must fight against this pattern of thinking. Maintaining a gratitude diary helps you remember the good things that happened in your life’s course and it helps you to flush out the negativity you may feel about yourself at that moment.
- Pamper yourself often. You can book that massage you have been longing for, buy yourself that dress you have been eying on, buy yourself some flowers and decorate your space with it. Just doing stuff for yourself can have a positive impact on your mental health. It heals you on the inside and makes you a better human. It gives you the cue to do the same for others, too.
- Let’s talk about hobbies. Maintaining a hobby or finding one can do wonders for your self-esteem. Maybe it is time you need to give a little more credit to these babies. Several studies have found out that hobbies have a way to boost your self-confidence. This makes you have healthy self-esteem as you feel a healthy sense of accomplishment. Who would have thought that hobbies could have that much impact on your self-esteem? But it sure does.
- Taking part in the community or volunteering for a cause, working on cleaning drives with the community, or taking part in any community programs like a marathon or it could be anything is a sure way to boost your self-esteem. You need to look out for what is going on in your community and take part.
- Having a focus group where you can take part can also aid you to work on your issues. Mingling with a group of like-minded people acts as a support system for you to recuperate whenever you lose your focus.
- Working on your crafts:-Self-esteem is affected due to the things you never set out to accomplish because you don’t have the guts to start it or you may be speaking negatively about yourself in your mind or out loud often with your friends and near ones, such a habit can put a setback on your dreams and goals and overtime on your self-esteem. A total mindset change and working on your talents and skills can have a miraculous effect on your self-confidence and will get you started on your goals.
- Changing your thoughts and working on changing the little conversation of ‘you can’t’ to ‘you can’:- is a little exercise you can do as by doing so you will morph your mindset into a winner’s one and overtime remove yourself from self -doubt so work on believing a little in yourself
- Earning more money can also have a positive impact on your self-esteem. Money makes the world go round. You have all heard of that before, but money sometimes also helps in getting healthy emotions. When you lack finances, it puts a toll on your health. The dissatisfaction that comes with it has a negative impact on your emotional health. You can work on increasing your income to get rid of your low self-esteem.
You are what you think; So work on changing your mindset to a wholesome one. A mindset change will lead to a change in your lifestyle. A lifestyle change will boost your self-confidence and that will lead you to have healthy self-esteem.