If you had one of Sony’s earphones like the WF 1000XM3, you might have needed to replace its battery at least once. These otherwise good wireless earbuds are notorious for their short battery life. But you don’t always need to run to a professional to replace them. You can follow the guide to replace them at home. Let’s see how to replace the Sony WF 1000XM3 battery.
To replace the battery of your Sony WF 1000XM3 earbuds, you need a replacement Li-ion battery of 3.7 V, 60 mAh, and an electronics toolkit. First, open the earbud. Then remove the speaker cover and pull out the old battery. Place a new one and follow the rest of the previous process in reverse.
How To Replace Battery In Sony WF 1000XM3?
You can follow these steps to easily replace the battery of your Sony WF 1000XM3 earbud at home by yourself.
- First, remove the silicon covers from the earbud.
- The upper covers of the earbuds are designed snap-type. So, use the picks from the electronics toolkit to lift the covers and ultimately open the cover.
- The layer you will see is the motherboard.
- There will be two screws just below the circular patch of foam over the microphone. You have to remove them with a screw extractor to separate the motherboard from the bottom cover.
- On the other side of the motherboard, you will see a button battery attached. Remove it carefully.
- Then, remove the metal contact from the old battery and attach it to the negative side of the new one.
- Then place the new battery keeping the metal contact aligned with the marker in the headset.
- Finally, close the motherboard with the screws. And snap the upper layer shut with the other part.
Cautions When Replacing Sony WF 1000XM3
You should always exercise caution when handling an earbud, It contains a very delicate and easily damageable circuit. Always maintain these basic tips to avoid such damage.
- When opening the upper layer as too much pressure can break them.
- There are small touch panel connectors and LED at the end. These can be damaged if not handled carefully. So, lift the motherboard from the sides and not the end.
- There is a small plastic holder that needs to be perfectly aligned with the little hole in the metal contactor to set the battery in place.
- Tighten the screws enough when closing the motherboard so that the battery touches the metal contactor properly.
When Should You Replace Batteries?
You should know the signs of a wearing battery early on so that you can replace it sooner and make your wireless bud last longer. You should think about battery replacement when you see one of these signs
- The battery life is very short even when fully charged. The rate of decrease in depth of discharge is also high.
- The sound quality has fallen compared to the time when you bought it.
- The earbud doesn’t start even after charging it to full cycle.
- You have opened the upper layer and charged the battery directly from an outside source but it still doesn’t work.
How To Optimize Your Sony WF 1000XM3 Batteries?
You can use your earbud wisely to make your battery last longer.
- There are some settings like DSEE HX Auto and Equalizer which draw power when turned on. Keep them disabled using the Sony Headphones Connect app. For example, when you keep the AAC Noise canceling function on, the maximum battery life is 3 hours, and if they are turned off battery life increases to 4 hours.
- Always keep the headset in the charging case when not used. As system settings might interpret the device being used if they are kept outside. This will increase battery consumption.
Using your earbuds efficiently will increase the overall longevity of your battery.
Replacing a battery of an earbud is slightly tricky due to its small parts and circuits. But it doesn’t require any professional knowledge. So, you can do it at home with some guidance and patience. And Sony WF 1000XM3 earbuds are compatible with different batteries that you can find on the market easily.
- What does the red light mean in Sony WF 1000XM3 earbuds?
The red light on the charging case is an indicator that lets you know that the headset is in the charging case and is being charged.
- How long does it take to fully charge Sony WF 1000XM3 earbuds?
To fully charge both the headset and the case, it’d take around 3.5 hours.
- What does the mAh mean in batteries?
mAh is the unit of the energy capacity of a battery. For example, if you have a 100mAh battery and you connect it to an appliance that consumes 100 mA to run, your battery will provide power for 1 hour.
- What to do if I lose one of my Sony WF 1000XM3 earbuds?
If you lose one side of the headphones, you can send the other one and the charging case to Sony’s Service Center for replacement. Although the warranty doesn’t cover the cost.