Hobbit is a series of three epic high fantasy movie series that is based on a 1973 novel the Hobbit. Hobbit was a large on-screen success, with more than $800,000,000 lifetime gross from its trilogy. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is one of the movies which earned a whopping $304,004,658 in its lifetime gross. And after almost a decade, the franchise still gets paid for its games, merchandise, premieres, adaptations, etc. Let us know ‘How much did the Cast of the Hobbit get Paid?’.
The cast of Hobbit got paid distinctly depending on several distinct factors including – Roles, contracts, screen time, parts of the trilogy, and so on. These factors affected the payment that cast members of The Hobbit received. Hobbit after being such a tremendous success paid the cast, some cast members got paid higher because they worked in the sequel trilogy The Lord of the Rings, based on their performance in the trilogy had an impact on the salary they got in the prequel series The Hobbit.
Learn more about how much the cast of the hobbit gets paid and what are factors and how to affect the salaries of the actors.
The Cast of Hobbit: Payment influencing factors
The actors in the trilogy The Hobbit got distinct salaries depending on their factors – contracts, roles, and so on. But after thorough research, it has become known that the actors that played the roles in LORT or Lord of the Rings trilogy – Martin Freeman, and Ian McKellen got paid more than the other several actors in the prequel trilogy. Some of the cast members that get paid in The Hobbit are –
- Ian McKellen as Gandalf – Ian earned a total of $10+ million in the LORT trilogy, and after he was asked to play the role of Gandalf again but as a lead, he got paid 4 million dollars for Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and it is stated that he got 3 – 4 million each for the remaining two parts The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of The Five Armies for his role.
After his role in LORT and The Hobbit Ian McKellen is now worth 60 million Dollars. However, in the extended cut, the actor was not paid much according to a source.
- Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins – As the main protagonist in the trilogy of The Hobbit he is the highest-paid actor in the series with 3 to 4 million dollars for the first movie The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
The salary that Martin got for the other two parts has not been revealed but it can be assumed that they increased given his outstanding performance in the series.
- Richard Armitage as Thorin Armitage – After the main protagonists in the trilogy The Hobbit Richard Armitage was the supporting actor who got paid the most. Richard earned 2 million dollars from his role in the movie. Even after all the high-end taxes he was able to make a profit out of his role.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Dragon Smaug – Benedict Cumberbatch was the dragon named Smaug in The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug after the movie got his net worth skyrocketed when it reached 40 million dollars for his role as the main antagonist of the movie.
Benedict Cumberbatch was paid quite a lot for just one movie because he also provided voice and motion for the dragon Smaug. But the exact amount of his salary was not disclosed but it was surely more than the supporting actors and less or equal to Freeman and McKellen.
- Andy Serkis as Gollum – Andy Serkis who played Gollum in the hobbit and Lord of the Rings, is one of the best-supporting actors in both trilogies. Andy Serkis was not paid much in the Lord of the Rings trilogy because of his leading role, but in the prequel trilogy The Hobbit, he was straight offered 1 million dollars along with the contract offered to him.
As a more experienced actor in the series, he had more room to grow than most of the other characters or actors in the movies.
In the trilogy, many distinct actors and actresses played crucial supporting roles including – Evangeline Lily, Aidan Turner, Richard Armitage, Ryan Gage, Orlando Bloom, and many more, and were even nominated for Oscars. But their salary was not disclosed even after a decade.
How much did the cast of The Hobbit get paid? And distinct factors that affect their salaries include – Roles, contracts, screentime, parts of the trilogy, and so on were discussed in this article along with the originally disclosed payments of the actors. Payment or salaries of all the protagonists of the trilogy series The Hobbit along with antagonists and several sides or supporting actors was discussed in depth.
Later, in the article distinct factors affecting different actors along with their respective roles with undisclosed salaries or payments were also discussed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. Who was the highest-paid actor in Trilogy the Hobbit?
Ian McKellen was the highest-paid actor in the series, as he started with 3 million dollars in the very first part of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and got 3 to 4 million in later parts of the trilogy.
Q2. What is the trilogy or The Hobbit?
The Three epic fantasy trilogy of The Hobbit are – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and the battle of The Five Armies. All these movies were released back-to-back from 2012 to 2014 only to make a tremendous hit.
Q3. Is The Hobbit a sequel or a prequel to the trilogy The Lord of the Ring?
The Hobbit is a prequel to the 2000 trilogy The Lord of the Rings, but The Lord of the Rings: The Ring of Power 2022 comes first in sequence before the Hobbits and then all the remaining parts of Lord of the Rings.
Q4. Why are many characters from The Hobbit and the LORT same?
Yes, many characters are the same from the series LORT including – Gandalf played by Ian, Gollum played by Andy Serkis, Galadriel played by Cate Blanchet, Legolas played by Orlando Bloom, and many more.