Sandstone and flagstone are both stones used commonly in construction work, building, decorative items, etc. It is said that flagstone is a type of sandstone. The components between sandstone and a flagstone differ. While they are commonly seen in construction works and artifacts, both materials are still primarily used in the everyday construction of objects.
Sandstone and flagstone may have different consistency and properties. This consistency or its properties may have something to do with the composition of the material.
What is Sandstone?
Sandstone is a sedimentary rock consisting of sand or quartz grains, which are cemented together. You usually see sandstone in red, brown, or yellow. The formation of the sandstone typically takes around centuries of deposit of minerals formed from sand. These deposits are generally included in lakes, ocean floors, in the river, and so on.
Since most sandstone is made of quartz grains, it is quite hard. Sandstone may also have grains of other minerals such as clay, mica calcite, etc. Sandstones made of pure quartz are called Quartzite.
Where is sandstone used? What is the importance of sandstone?
Sandstone has been used for a long time now, since prehistoric times. It has been used in decorative art in houseware. They are also commonly seen in interior walls and so on.
Sandstone is extremely important as they are a reservoir for petroleum, water, and so on. They are also valuable building materials and sources of metal ores. Sandstone is also used in understanding Earth’s history.
Sandstone is also generally weather-resistant. Therefore it is helpful in paving materials. They are also often used for sharpening tools and in the construction of homes, and so on.
Types of Sandstone
Sandstone can broadly be put into four categories. The category is based on the color and the hardness of the stone. The four types are as follows:
- Gray Sandstone
- Crystallized sandstone
- Hard Sandstone
- Carbonate Cemented sandstone.
Where is sandstone commonly found?
Sandstone is a common mineral that is found almost anywhere in the world. Large deposits of sandstone can be found in the United States, Germany, and even South Africa. The three countries mentioned before have the highest deposits in the world.
What is Flagstone?
Flagstone is a variation or rather type of sedimentary rock that is generally used for paving. It has been used as such since the 1900s. Flagstone, which is also commonly known as natural stone, has different kinds. Some of those include limestone, slate, and so on. You often see flagstone used in backyard patios.
One of the characteristics of flagstones is that they be can split into different layers. As mentioned before, flagstone is quarried and comes in different types. These divisions are based on color, texture, and other distinctive qualities, just like sandstone.
Flagstone and Sandstone.
Looking at the properties of both flagstone and sandstone, they both have similar properties. Their use is also the same. However, they have a wide range of types and uses. As mentioned before,
- Sandstone takes centuries to form. It is also widely abundant all over the world, with large deposits in the United States. On the other hand, flagstones can be understood as any generic stone that can be used for paving.
- Flagstone is a sedimentary rock. In general, sedimentary rocks require layers of sediment compressed by heat and pressure over a long time.
- Just like flagstone, sandstone is also a sedimentary rock. They require the same heat and pressure and layers of sediment to be used as it is today.
Flagstone and sandstone uses
- Flagstones have a narrower use as compared to sandstone. Flagstones are generally used for paving. This is as seen in patios, making floors, creating fencing. They can also be used to make memorials, headstones, and so on.
- Flagstones are good material to be used for the above-mentioned list as it is sturdy and can be used well and efficiently. Some professionals come to help make these pavements or do the flooring and so on.
- Sandstone, on the other hand, has a large variety of uses. Just like with flagstones, it is sturdy and is used in construction work and so on. However, it does go beyond that. Sandstone is an important petroleum reservoir. It is also not easily affected by weather, and so it lasts longer.
An example of a difference is given below.
- Layers of sand usually form sandstone. It could be used as a great decorative piece depending on the styling of an environment. Since sandstone appears in colors such as reds, yellows, or beiges, it adds color and vibrancy wherever it is placed.
- Sandstone also tends to be cooler in the summer. To add to this, because of its strength, it can be used to build driveways, pathways, and so on.
- It can also be highly cost-effective when using materials like sandstone.
- A disadvantage to using sandstone is that it is porous and absorbs a lot of water. As a result, it can be susceptible to damage, especially if grime and oil manage to seep through. It is prone to more damage during colder climates.
- Flagstones such as slates, on the other hand, are used for their multicolored visual. Slates are known to be metamorphic rocks that have a range of colors.
- Slates are also easy to use. This means that it can be shaped and used in any desired way. Slates are most often seen in wall cladding or flooring.
- One of its drawbacks is that it easily splits. Since these rocks are easily broken, it could be disadvantageous for more extended use time. Slates also do not come in large rocks. While constructing, it would mean more slates would be required to cover a specified area.
When comparing sandstone and flagstone, you must remember that there are different varieties under those umbrellas. There are so many types depending on textures and colors, and quality. The above two examples are given; however, there are many more stones to look into before deciding what to use.