Airlift equipment provides robust support to the vehicle and optimizes air pressure of the wheels, allowing the user gain better control of the vehicle. It consists of three key components. Those are airlift management kit, airlift suspension kit and air-ride suspension kit. Rest of the kit contains important accessories required for proper installation. The airlift management kit helps in monitoring the airlift performance of the vehicle. The airlift suspension and air-ride suspension kits aid the user to maintain balance of the vehicle under heavy load conditions, towing, sudden shocks, etc. and get better control over the wheels. Read further to know that How much does it Cost to Install Airlift.
The overall airlift management and suspension kits can cost the user around $2500 to $5000 depending on the system components installed. The air-ride suspension kit cost can range from $2000 to $4500 based on the number of airbags and model of the vehicle. Additionally, there might be some charges around $500 to $1500 for installation of these above components.
The variation in the cost of the airlift management and suspension kits is due to the number, models and types of the components included in these kits. Based on the requirement, the user can select the appropriate type of equipment and make it cost effective. Listed below are the various airlifting kits and the components these comprise of:-
- Air Management Kit– It primarily consists of controller, manifold, accelerometer, airlines and harness connections. The controller or ECU(Electronic Control Unit) provides intelligence to the system and helps get control over the performance. The manifold is the device used to distribute air from air tank to the air springs. It also contains integrated parts like air pressure sensors and valves. It also contains built-in Bluetooth to connect it to the user’s mobile device. Some latest features are also available like improved design of the sensor arm and increased sensor life. The accelerometer detects motion of the vehicle and adjusts accordingly. The airlines, when attached to the manifold, help in the distribution of air to the air springs. The diameter of the airlines can vary from ¼ inches to 3/8 inches depending upon the requirement. These components along with other fitting accessories may cost around $800 to $1500.
- Air Suspension Kit– The most important components of airlift suspension kit are air compressor, air tank, electrical control system, camber plates, air springs, strut dampers. The compressor is used to inflate and deflate the air springs. The air springs are rubber or fabric air containers that adjust the compression and expansion of the air maintain a steady height irrespective of load conditions and the cost ranges from $1500 to $3000. Camber plates help to adjust the inward lean of the front and rear wheels with respect to the ground and cost around $300. The electrical control system consists of the following:-
- Automatic Levelling System- This is used to detect when the vehicle is not levelled properly and automatically inflate or deflate the air springs to get the desired ride height.
- Magnetic Height Sensor- This helps in maintaining the ride height by sensing the height using magnetic technology.
- Path Models- This can single or dual, depending on whether to inflate both the air springs at the same time to same air pressure or to inflate air springs individually to different air pressures respectively.
These above components along with accessories like ball bearings, ranches, etc. cost around $3000 to $4000.
- Air Ride Suspension Kit– This kit comprises of air bags. The airbags installation takes around 7 to 10 hours and costs around $300 to $800 depending on the number and quality. Air bags hold air pressure and are extremely helpful to isolate passengers from any shocks caused by road irregularities or severe road accidents. The user can even have the choice to install different types of airbags for the driver side and the passenger side. The lifespan of these airbags depend on how they are used, which can last from 40,000 miles to 80,000 miles.
Few accessories, which are included in the airlift kits, are as follows:-
- Hose- It provides a strong and protective connection between the air springs and the mounted airlines.
- Strut Dampers- These dampers always stay in contact with internal oil, stay cooler and are more effective on rough roads.
- Roll Plate- It is mounted in between the top or bottom of bellows air springs for stabilizing them.
- Shock Dyno- It is used to measure the damping forces caused due to shocks.
- Solenoid Valve- It is a DC actuated valve used for passing of air in and out of air springs.
- Spherical Bearings- These are mounted on the camber plates for easy rotation. These can also be found mounted on damper shaft for eliminating vertical deflection.
- Water Trap- It traps water, circulates it around the air system, and allows cooling effect.
All the airlift kits and components described above are very much needed. These can protect the passengers from simple regular shocks to dangerous accidents. Based on the general requirements, the average cost comes around $3000 to $5000 making it affordable to install the necessary equipment with all the latest and intelligent features and easy to maintain on an everyday go.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can two air compressors having lesser diameters be installed in the vehicle and how much would it cost?
Answer. Yes, two air compressors with small diameters can be installed. This allows the system to pump more air at a time. Also in case, if one of the compressors becomes dysfunctional due to some reason, the other one could be used as backup. The cost effective ones could range from $200 to $500.
- What is the cost of the air tank?
Answer. The air tanks ranging from half a gallon to 5 gallons can cost up-to $45 to $300.
- How much air pressure is required to maintain inside air springs?
Answer. It is recommended to maintain an air pressure of 4 to 5 PSI, even in no load conditions, since it improves the performance and prevents wear and tear.