According to Procter & Gamble, Downy Unstopables are tiny pellets that give a pleasant aroma to clothe. They have four times higher fragrance amplifying elements than Downy in the liquid form. In addition, these beads allow clothes to retain a fresh scent for up to twelve weeks until they are worn. Read further to know how Downy Unstopables are Safe For HE Washers.
Since Downy Unstopables are compatible with high-efficiency (HE) washing machines and top-loading (TL) washing machines, they can be used in HE washers without any problems. They are suitable for utilization on all types of fabrics and clothing colors, and they break down entirely in water, regardless of the temperature of the water. Hence, there are no remainders of the beads in the machine after the washing cycle. This ensures that the washer pressure hose does not get clogged.
There have been several online reviews regarding the clogging of machines when users used Downy Unstopables, laundry detergents, and fabric softeners. The clogging is usually attributed to the mixture of the residue of the detergents and the fabric softeners. There is typically no clogging when Downy Unstopables are used alone. However, there have been some complaints from customers saying that they received error codes on their machines due to using Downy Unstopables. We will look at how Downy Unstopables are Safe For HE Washers.
Steps To Using Downy Unstopables In HE Washers:
- Step 1: Take any number of pellets as you see fit into the cap.
- Step 2: Place the beads in the washer drum. You can also choose to dissolve the dots in some water first before adding them to the washer.
- Step 3: Add your clothes to the washer.
- Ste 4: Add laundry detergent and fabric softener to the washer if you wish. The beads can also be used on their own.
- Step 5: Start the washer.
Staining Of Clothes Due To Downy Unstopables
Since the beads disintegrate entirely in water during the wash, they usually do not stain clothes. However, there have been several online reviews from users stating that the beads cause bright smudges on clothing which are very difficult or, in some cases, impossible to remove altogether.
Ways to reduce staining of clothes:
- Some users claim that allowing the pellets to break down in water first before adding them to the washer reduces staining.
- Ensuring that the number of beads added is not excessive for the number of clothes in the washer would reduce the chances of staining.
Toxicity Of Downy Unstopables
According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), Downy Unstopables are rated ‘F’ due to ‘Health, Environment, and Disclosure Concerns.’ The only constituents listed on the bottle are perfume dispersant, perfume, and dye. Due to the company’s vague ingredient listing, there are several potential health concerns.
- There are mild concerns regarding the fragrance used, such as skin irritation, allergies, and respiratory problems.
- There is a concern regarding the dispersant utilized, which might cause biodegradation. On top of that, there is some concern about developmental and reproductive effects, damage to DNA and vision, cancer, and harmful effects on the nervous system attributed to the dispersant.
- There is also some concern due to the colors used. As a result, there is a possibility of harmful effects on organs and the reproductive system and adverse effects on the development of children.
Types Of Scents Of Downy Unstopables
There are six scents of Downy Unstopables currently available in the USA, as listed below.
|Type Of Scent||Smell|
|Shimmer||Flowery and fruity|
|Lush||Lavender mixed with hints of cedar and vanilla.|
|Spring||Floral with undercurrents of citrus|
|Tide Original||It enhances the smell of tide laundry detergent when used together with it.|
|Old Spice||Masculine Old Spice|
In a nutshell, it is safe to use Downy Unstopables with HE washers in general. However, the compatibility of the scent booster and the machine should be checked before purchasing the scent booster. Moreover, care should be taken while using it with laundry detergents and softeners as it may clog the washer otherwise.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can Downy Unstopables booster scents be used as fabric softeners?
No, the only function of Downy Unstopables is to make clothes smell fresh and pleasant after washing. They do not contain lubricating elements to soften and add a coat of protection to fabrics, unlike fabric softeners. As such, they cannot be used as fabric softeners.
- Can I use Downy Unstopables in every load?
Yes, you can use it in every laundry load to obtain lovely-smelling clothes.
- Do Downy Unstopables booster scents work?
Several online reviews by customers indicate that the pellets can give a pleasant fragrance to the clothes for at least one week.
- Is it safe to use Downy Unstopables with bleach?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to use Downy Unstopables with bleach.