Walgreens is an American store chain that was founded in 1901 in Chicago. It is the second-largest pharmacy chain in the U.S. Prescriptions and health and wellness items among other things are its fortes. Walgreens and Alliance Boots, located in Switzerland, merged on December 31, 2014, to become Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc., a new holding company. The new business acquired Walgreens and turned it into a subsidiary. See Does Walgreen Deliver Prescription?
Does Walgreen Deliver Prescription?
Well, the short answer is yes, Walgreens does deliver prescriptions. The long answer to this question, however, is also yes but it is much more detailed. So, keep on reading to find out all you need to know about Walgreens’ policies on delivering prescriptions.
Types Of Delivery Services Available
Walgreen understands all the various needs and concerns of its customers and consequently, Walgreens offer 4 different ways of getting prescriptions delivered from them. These services vary per their cost and time taken. These delivery options are-
- Walgreen Express Delivery- This option is free of cost and promises delivery within 1-2 business days. Walgreen gets the orders for Express delivery fulfilled by FedEx from the customer’s local pharmacy.
- Standard Online Shipping- This service is also free of cost and is the basic distribution alternative offered by Walgreens. This delivery service takes longer than the Express delivery, that is, 5-10 business days.
- Expedited Online Shipping- This option requires the customer to pay $12.95 for their order to be delivered and it takes about 2 business days to arrive
- Overnight Online Shipping- this is another paid option. Walgreens charge a total of $19.95 for an overnight online shipping service. As the name suggests, the orders take 1 business day to reach the customers.
How To Order The Prescriptions For Deliveries ?
- The process of Ordering prescriptions through the Standard, Expedited and Overnight delivery options:
- Go to Walgreens online portal and then to the online pharmacy solutions
- Fill in your required prescriptions
- Select the ‘Ship to you’ option on the ‘checkout’ page of the Walgreens’ website
- Select one of the delivery options mentioned above depending upon the amount you wish to spend and how much time you wish to wait for your prescription
- Finalise your order
- Make the payment
- The process to order the prescriptions through the Walgreens’ Express delivery service:
Since the Express delivery is fulfilled by FedEx, it has a different procedure-
- Enrolling in Walgreens Express is the first and foremost step in using this method of delivery.
- To do so, simply text JoinRx to 21525 to enrol in the text message notification programme.
- Once enrolment is completed, go to the Order Status page and when your prescription is available, select ‘Use Walgreens Express’ from the drop-down menu and when asked how you want to get your prescription.
- Another way of doing it is when you receive a text or email notification that your prescription is ready, you can choose ‘Walgreens Express.’ This will save you a lot of time by automatically saving and starting your selected delivery service.
Recent Developments In Walgreens Policies
Amazon launched its online pharmacy and that impacted Walgreens’ standing in the market by a great extent.
As a result, beginning in 2021, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. would offer same-day medication delivery to “virtually all store locations” across the country. Customers now get prescriptions delivered to their doorsteps in a matter of hours with this new improvement.
Currently, more than 8,000 Walgreens stores offer the Same Day Rx Delivery.
Patients can sign up for same-day delivery after refilling qualified prescriptions on the Walgreens website or app. They will, however, be charged a variety of shipping fees, depending on the area. To sign-up for the same-day service in a non-digital way, customers can talk to their local pharmacy team over the phone or in person.
Walgreens’ does deliver prescriptions and they have 4 different delivery options to choose from to fulfil the customers’ prescription needs. Two of these options are free of cost, Express delivery which takes about 1-2 business days and Standard online shipping which takes 5-10 business days to reach the customers. For faster delivery, Walgreens offer 2 other delivery options, Expedited shipping which costs $12.95 and takes 2 business days and Overnight delivery which costs $19.95.
- Are all drugs eligible for delivery?
The majority of prescriptions are suitable for delivery, however, there are a few that aren’t. Prescriptions involving regulated substances (such as temperature-controlled substances) or those paid for by insurance or healthcare programmes fall into this category. For further information on the contents of your prescription, you can contact your local Walgreens pharmacy and even confirm if they are eligible for delivery or not.
- How can I check the status of my order?
The status of your prescription can be confirmed from the ‘Order Status’ page on Walgreens’ website. Signing up for text and email alerts is a more convenient option. This option lets you know when your prescription is ready.