The value of obtaining a USPS PO box cannot be overemphasized, particularly for individuals or businesses who live in places where mail can’t be delivered directly to them. Interestingly, it is reassuring.. to know that obtaining a USPS PO Box is simple and includes no stressful tasks. So, how do you get a USPS Post Office Box? Persons or businesses can rent a USPS post office box to use as a mailing address for communication or to accept packages. Renting a USPS PO box is done through an application process, and we will go over the two options for application.
Two Ways To Apply For a USPS PO Box
1) Filling out an online application
2) Submitting an application at the post office
Interested in renting a USPS PO box through an online application? This post lays out simple steps for you to follow. The following actions must be followed in completing the online application at www.usps.com/poboxes:
1. Use the search bar under “Reserve a New PO Box” to find Post Office locations near you.
2. Select a Post Office location and a PO Box size and payment period from the drop-down menus.
3. To reserve your PO Box, enter your contact and billing information.
Creating An Automated Payment System
Also, to have your payment automatically renewed:
• Go to “Manage Account” and enter your USPS.com credentials.
• On the “Manage Your Account” tab, locate your PO Box and click “Setup Auto-Renew.”
• If you would like, you can change your payment period and enroll in Automatic Renewal.
Linking a New Account With An Existing Account
The procedure also includes instructions for linking one’s account to an existing account, which include:
- Signing in by clicking “Link” on the page.
- Enter your PO Box number, ZIP Code and last name or business name
- Confirm and submit your PO Box information.
Submitting An Application At The Post Office
In-person application is another option for obtaining a USPS PO Box. To begin, fill out the PS Form 1093, which is the PO Box application form, with all essential information. This form is generated during the application process if you apply online.
The next step is to take a copy of the completed form to a post office that offers window services, together with two forms of approved US identification for verification.
Note that entering false information on the PO Box application or refusing to supply required information will result in the application being denied or the service being terminated.
Required Identities (IDs)
Two acceptable forms of identification (one photo and one non-photo) are necessary whether you apply online or at a Post Office. Both must be up to date. The following are acceptable types of identification:
Options for photo identification
- A valid driver’s license in the United States or a state non-identity driver’s card
- Employee identity card from the United States Armed Forces, the government, a university, or a well-known corporation
- A passport, passport card, alien registration card, or proof of naturalization.
Options for non-photo identification
- Current lease, mortgage, or trust deed
- A voter registration card or a vehicle registration card
- Insurance policy for your home or vehicle
With them, one may easily enroll and select the size of his or her PO box.
Sizes Of Postal Boxes
The USPS offers five distinct sizes of PO Boxes. Make sure the size you choose is appropriate for your mail volume and schedule. The smallest box (Size 1) can hold up to two rolled magazines or 10-15 letter-sized envelopes. Starting with a Size 2 box is a good place to start if you receive more than 15 mail pieces a week.
A USPS PO box of any size can be rented by applying online or at a post office, which does not have to be the one where the box service is needed. Both methods entail procedures that must be followed precisely and are aided by certain required identities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to change my USPS PO Box address?
An individual change of address order can be filed by the PO Box customer or anybody else mentioned on the PS Form 1093. A change of address order for a full family can only be submitted by a box customer.
Is there a minimum age requirement to apply for a USPS PO Box?
To apply for a PO Box online, you must be at least 18 years old. A person under the age of 18 can get a USPS PO Box by going to a local post office and filling out an application in person, unless the parent or guardian of the minor submits in writing an objection to the appropriate postmaster. Minors are not allowed to apply online.