Amazon is an American multinational Technology Company that focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. Let’s know ‘Does Amazon Own Vimeo?’
Jeff Bezos is the founder of the company that started Amazon in his garage in Bellevue, Washington.
From an online marketplace for books to the home of millions of products of different categories, Amazon has come a long way as a company and is on a constant move to explore different profitable domains to work as well.
This includes them opening new ventures like Project Kuiper and acquiring renowned companies like MGM Studios who are in their A-game.
Does Amazon Own Vimeo?
The Answer is No. It is neither owned by Amazon nor by Google. Vimeo is owned by IAC which is a renowned company in the technology and media holding sector backed by Angie’s List, Ask, and Dotdash.
Vimeo is the 11th public company owned by IAC which acquired Vimeo back in 2006. Now although it is not owned yet, it doesn’t mean it cannot be in the future.
Stick to the article to know what are the possibilities for that to happen.
What is Vimeo? Who owns it?
Vimeo is a video hosting, sharing, and service provider platform which runs on paid subscription business model through Software as a service (SaaS). Jake Lodwick and Zach Klein are the founders who made Vimeo in their college project. Anjali Sud is the current CEO of Vimeo.
She is the prominent reason why Vimeo has become a leading video platform in the present day as she was the one who pitched the idea of focusing on empowering businesses and entrepreneurs instead of competing with media platforms like Netflix, Amazon prime, etc.
With a commendable team effort, Vimeo became successful in increasing 54% sales in 2020 and at present it has:
- More than 200 million users,
- 1.6 million paid users,
- Audience from 190+ countries,
- 350K per day video uploads,
- More than 100 billion video views
- 800+ employees around the world.
Which companies does Amazon own?
Amazon owns more than 40 companies including Audible, IMDb, Twitch Interactive, Good reads, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Shopbop, Amazon Robotics, Whole Food Market, Kiva Systems, Diapers.com, Fabric.com, A9.com, Alexa, and many more.
The most recent company owned by amazon is MGM Studios.
Why do we think Amazon owns Vimeo?
Anjali Sud, the current CEO of Vimeo worked in Amazon and Amazon-owned companies for years before joining Vimeo as the CEO.
This can be the reason why we think Amazon owns Vimeo.
Moreover, Vimeo has dedicated tutorial-based resources on their platform about making videos for amazon products. This can also fuel the misconception of Vimeo being an Amazon-owned company.
Can Amazon own Vimeo in the future?
Amazon has not owned Vimeo yet but it does not mean that it is not a possibility in the future.
Amazon is such a company that is always in search of capturing more audiences and a bigger market cap. So, if it finds potential in a company that can help in advertising, marketing, personalizing its products, and increasing its business, then it tries to grab it with all it has got.
Following are some reasons that showcase the reasons why Vimeo is worthy to be owned in the future:
- Vimeo has got a spot in Fast Company’s Annual List of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for the year 2022.
- Vimeo is getting strong engagement with enterprises, is making collaborations with them for their products, and has welcomed 3500 enterprise customers including Amazon, Zendesk & Starbucks.
Diversified Reach in Corporate Sector
- Companies like Forbes, Rite Aid & Deloitte use Vimeo to deliver training & onboarding videos for their employees and even for live-streaming their global corporate events.
- More than one million small-scale businesses use Vimeo to promote their products, and showcase product demos, how-to videos, and video reviews to build better credibility with customers.
Beneficial in Retail Business for advertising
- It is an ad-free video platform and is allowed by social media handles like Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter & Pinterest which makes it a good option for online retailers like Shopify, Amazon & Etsy, etc.,
Empowering Businesses & Entrepreneurs
- Vimeo empowers businesses and entrepreneurs unlike other video platforms like YouTube which is search-based and primarily works for educating & entertaining the audience.
The small yet rewarding audience base
- Vimeo’s premium market is not as big as YouTube’s commercial market, but as it only has paid members so it also holds a significant value that can benefit brands who want to scale up their businesses.
So, with so many perks, we can say that Vimeo is a successful company, and owning it can be rewarding in the future for Amazon.
From a media viewing platform like Facebook & YouTube to a business-centric subscription-based video platform, Vimeo has come a long way and will achieve wonders in the future as well.
It is yet to see whether this company will sustain itself as an independent company or will be owned by any of the tech giants of the world like Amazon.