EZ- pass is an electronic system designed to allow individuals and businesses to pay toll fees electronically in most of the tolled bridges and roads in parts of the Eastern and Midwest states parts of the United States. In the year 1990, seven toll stations in three states (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York) came together and formed the EZ interagency group. Since then, the EZ pass system serves almost 19 states and over 27 million accounts and allows travelers to make payments on toll roads in the network.Does EZ-Pass Work In Colorado? keep reading.
EZ Pass electronic system does not work in the state of Colorado. The only accepted toll collection systems acceptable in Colorado are Plate Pass and Express Toll to use in any of the lanes.
How Does EZ Pass Work in colorado?
First, you need to have an EZpass prepaid account with any of the participating toll agencies to enable you to use the service at toll stations. Once you have an account in place, you are given a small electronic device called a transponder that you will attach to the inside of the windshield of your car. When you pass through a toll, where an EZ pass is accepted, the antenna at the toll plaza will read your electronic transponder and an amount for the toll will be debited in your EZ pass account.
Different toll agencies offer their customers different choices for them to recharge funds into their EZ accounts. There is an auto-recharge feature that is the most convenient way for customers to recharge their funds, where your account automatically recharges whenever you have a low balance in your account by charging the amount to a credit card chosen for that purpose. Cash payments can be used to recharge EZ pass accounts.
Places That You Can Use the EZ Pass.
EZ pass is accepted in most toll stations, bridges, and tunnels in the Eastern and Midwest parts of the United States. These states include Minnesota, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, West Virginia, Virginia, Ontario, North Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Indiana.
Each of the above-named states operates an EZ pass center on its own.
EZ pass can be used to pay for parking at various airports such as Pittsburgh International Airport in Pennsylvania, LaGuardia Airport, and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, and also at Route 128 station in Westwood in the state of Massachusetts ( this service is available for Massachusetts clients only).
What Are The Benefits Of Having An EZ Pass?
EZ pass has made traveling more convenient. Here are some of the benefits of having an EZ pass;
- Save time since one does not have to wait in line to pay toll fees.
- It has helped ease and reduce traffic congestion in toll stations.
- Saves you money since many toll facilities offer discounts compared to using cash payments.
- The auto pay service helps you recharge your account by charging it to your debit or credit card so you always have money to pay at toll stations.
- It has 24/7/365 online access to your account so you can check balances, print toll statements, and add funds.
- You are automatically enrolled in the discount plan each month with 30trips or more (this service is for Maine Turnpike).
EZ Pass Plus.
This is an additional service of the EZ pass. It allows its users an easy, quick, and convenient way to use the EZ pass plus to pay for parking. There are several facilities where you can use the EZ pass plus and, they are;
- LaGuardia Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City.
- Great New York State Fair, New York.
- New York Avenue Parking Garage, New Jersey.
- Albany International Airport, New York.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, New Jersey.
EZ Pass Flex.
This is also an additional service of the EZ Pass. EZ Pass Flex has an additional switchable feature that is specifically designed for people traveling on the expressway. EZ Pass Flex benefits travelers who are traveling with several people and they qualify for a high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) discount.
Conclusion for Does EZ-Pass Work In Colorado?
Having an EZ-pass can come in handy since it saves time and money, can be used to pay for parking services, and is accepted at most toll stations bridges, and tunnels in the Eastern and Midwest parts of the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions.
- Where can one purchase the EZ Pass Flex transponder?
The EZ Pass Flex transponder can be purchased at customer service centers in Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina.
- What is the cost of an EZ Pass transponder?
The transponder’s cost depends on the state that you are in but on average the cost is about $35. Some states add some maintenance fee for the device and some agencies charge a monthly account fee of about $1.
- Can one use one EZ Pass account in participating states?
Yes, you only need one EZ Pass account signed up with one agency to enjoy the benefits of EZ Pass anywhere it is accepted.