With the digital age upon us, online transaction services such as PayPal are gaining more popularity around the globe. According to paypal.com, PayPal is the global leader in online payment transactions. It is an efficient and secure way to send money online. Now, have you ever wondered whether you can pay for groceries using PayPal? Well, this article will be a step-by-step guide on how to do so.
Can you buy groceries using Paypal?
If you have not guessed it by now, the answer is yes, you can buy groceries using PayPal. Several businesses across the United States have incorporated PayPal as a payment method, with many offering it when you pay online.
Using PayPal to buy groceries online is as easy as selecting PayPal as your payment method. However, when done in person, it is a bit more complicated because you must first add or link your PayPal account to your Samsung Pay or Google Pay. Moreover, you cannot pay without your phone, but fear not, we have just the information you need to clear out any confusion and answer any questions that you may have.
Some sad news for Apple users; in January 2022, you still cannot add your PayPal account to your Apple Pay mobile wallet, you can however, add it to your Apple ID and buy some of your favourite apps and music but not groceries.
Steps to buy your groceries online using PayPal:
- Step one: Add your groceries to the cart and select checkout.
- Step two: At the checkout point, select “PayPal” as a payment method and fill in the information required.
- Step three: You will receive a notification from PayPal asking for permission to verify your account, confirm the payment and currency
- Step four: you may be asked to enter a pin, but this will be a once off thing.
- Step five: Well, done! You can review your payment afterwards.
This can be done on any large retailer that offers PayPal as a payment method, you can even do it on Uber Eats or any other delivery service that delivers food and groceries.
Steps to add your PayPal account to your Google Pay:
- Step 1: Open your Google Pay mobile app or go to the website https://pay.google.com
- Step 2: Sign in and tap on “Add payment method”
- Step 3: A range of payment methods will appear, you must select “PayPal” and click save.
- Step 4: On the website, after clicking save, you will be redirected to the PayPal website (be sure to disable pop up blockers). On the mobile app, you will be required to enter your email address and click on “Allow” to confirm your information, then “Accept” to save and complete.
Steps to add your PayPal account to your Samsung Pay:
- Step 1: Open your mobile app, right at the bottom of the screen you will see the wallet tab, open it, and click on the add (+) icon
- Step 2: Add PayPal
- Step 3: Enter your pin to authorise the payment. Then you are done! You have paid for your products.
Other ways to buy groceries using PayPal:
If you are not particularly fond of the complete switch to contactless or digital banking, then this one is for you! The PayPal Prepaid Mastercard. Here’s how it works; you can order your PayPal Prepaid Mastercard on the website https://www.paypal-prepaid.com and you’ll get your card within 7-10 working days in the mail. With this card, you can purchase your goods where Debit Mastercard is accepted or as PayPal puts it, “… eat, drink and shop anywhere Debit Mastercard is accepted.”
There are three ways to add money to the card, you can make transfers from your PayPal account to your PayPal Prepaid Card account or use the no-cost Deposit service or add money at a Netspend Reload Network nationwide. With this card, you also receive special offers and money back rewards and other cool extras.
Is PayPal free?
Yes, unlike your traditional banking services, PayPal is free to use, and you are not expected to pay any monthly fees or anything of that manner. They do, however charge a 2.9% fee for transactions from and to credit cards but sending and receiving money using the PayPal service is free.
Can I advise my local grocery shop to get a PayPal so that I can use it to pay when checking out?
Yes, PayPal offers a range of personal and business accounts, meaning your local shop owner can add it to their payment methods.
How long does PayPal take?
Online transactions take seconds. The no-cost Deposit Service takes two days for you to access your funds.
As we conclude, we would like to remind you of the few things that we covered in this article, but before we do that, we would like to thank you for reading to this point. We looked at what PayPal is, a few steps to take when adding it to your Samsung or Google Pay, or when you are just using it as a payment method on Uber Eats or Woolworths online and how to get a prepaid Mastercard and answered a few more questions that you may still have had. Bottom line is, if your favourite shopping store offers PayPal as a payment method, then you can use it to buy your groceries.