Xfinity and Google Fiber are both internet service providers and are in close competition with each other. This makes it necessary for you to find out which one is better and would suit you the best according to your needs. Now, although Google Fiber claims to provide a fast-speed fiber-optic network, Xfinity, on the other hand, is conveniently sprawled over remote areas in the United States. Read further to find out the stark differences between the two! The topic is Xfinity versus Google Fiber.
Comparing the Two: Xfinity and Google Fiber
When it comes to comparing internet service providers, it is quite important to do so based on the speed and plans that they provide and whether they are budget-friendly or not. Here are some points based on which you can make a judgment:
- Price: While it is important that an internet service provider offers a good speed, it is even more important to consider the price asked for the service so that it doesn’t render your wallet empty by the end of the month. As regards Xfinity, its monthly plans range from $24.99 to $84.99, while the monthly plans of Google Fiber range from $70.00 to $100.00.
- Plans: Xfinity offers quite a few plans such as the Performance Starter, Performance Pro Plus, Extreme Pro, and many more. These plans range from $20 to $299.99 per month and offer 25 Mbps to 2000 Mbps. As regards Google Fiber, it offers only two plans: Google Fiber 1 Gig and Google Fiber 2 Gig, ranging from $70.00 to $100.00, and provide 1000 Mbps to $2000 Mbps.
- Speed: One of the most vital things to look for when comparing internet service providers is the speed that they claim to provide. When it comes to Xfinity, you can enjoy a speed of 15-1000 Mbps; whereas, Google Fiber offers 1 Gbps, which is 1000 Mbps, to 2 Gbps.
- Internet Type: Talking about the stark differences, the one that will grab your attention is the fact that although Xfinity provides a cable internet connection, Google Fiber, on the other hand, offers a fiber-optic connection, which is quite reliable and aims to provide high speed.
- Data Caps: This indicates whether an internet service provider offers limited data or not. Xfinity has a data cap of 1200 Gb, while Google Fiber does not have any!
- Equipment Fee: To make sure that your account does not look empty by the end of the month, you need to know which of the two charges an equipment fee and how much. When it comes to Xfinity, you will be charged up to $15 as an equipment fee, however, Google Fiber does not charge anything regarding this.
- Installation Fee: Deciding which of the two internet service providers is the best is another thing, but realizing which of them charges an installation fee or provides a hassle-free installation is the one that requires your attention. Xfinity asks its users to pay an installation fee of up to $125, whereas Google Fiber does not ask for this at all!
Xfinity: Pros and Cons
If you wish to go with Xfinity as your internet service provider, then you need to know about some of the merits and demerits that Xfinity usage is accompanied with. When it comes to advantages, Xfinity has a wide availability in the US that only a few other internet providers can match. In addition, it offers reliable connections and customer service that is fairly well.
One of the major drawbacks of choosing Xfinity is that it charges an extra $30 every month for unlimited data. Moreover, as seen above, you will be charged an equipment and installation fee.
Google Fiber: Pros and Cons
If Google Fiber seems like a nice option to you, then you must read further to know if it poses any challenges to its users or not. However, you must first go through the benefits that you will avail of once you choose one of its plans! One of the benefits that render customers spellbound is the high speed that it provides- 1000 to 2000 Mbps. Moreover, Google Fiber does not bind you with any contracts or hidden fees of any kind.
Till now, the only disadvantage faced by people is that Google Fiber does not extend over most areas in the US. The limited availability that comes attached with Google Fiber is the reason why many prefer Xfinity over it.
Now that you have looked at the comparison and the pros and cons of each of these internet providers, you must know which one would aid you well. If you find that both the internet services are available in your region, it is recommended that you go with Google Fiber since there are no extra charges and high speed is offered!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How many plans does Xfinity provide?
Xfinity provides a total of 11 plans.
- What are the plans that Xfinity provides?
Xfinity offers Performance Starter, Performance Select, Performance, Performance Pro, Performance Pro Plus, Blast, Extreme, Extreme Pro, Extreme Pro Plus, Gigabit, and Gigabit Pro.
- In how many states are Xfinity and Google Fiber available?
Xfinity is available in around 40 states, while Google Fiber is available in 10 States in the United States.