Great Lakes Crossing Outlets, earlier known as Great Lakes Crossing, is one of the best and most prominent shopping malls in Detroit, Michigan, opened in 1998. More than 175 stores for shopping, 1000 seat capacity food court, movie screens, and sea life Michigan are available in the mall. The mall is an excellent family-friends entertainment destination. Sealife aquarium is the largest aquarium in Michigan. People have to buy tickets to explore Michigan’s only ocean tunnel to visit an aquarium. So, Does great lakes crossing have wheelchairs?
The Great Lakes Crossing Outlets mall authority provides complimentary wheelchairs. People can ask at the Visitors center in District 4/Entry 4 near Arhaus the Loft. The service is based on the availability of wheelchairs and offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Why Do Great Lakes Crossing Need Wheelchairs?
- Huge area: The overall mall is spread over 39 acres/16 ha of land; this is a large area. The total retail floor area of the mall is 1.33million square feet or 125,900 m2. Therefore, it is difficult to explore the entire site without assistance for disabled or physically disabled people.
- The distance around the mall is 1.02 miles for one lap with a corridor and 0.8 miles for one lap without a corridor. To cover this distance is possibly a great challenge for a person with a disability.
- The number of disabled people in the city: According to data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Centre for Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, around 13% of adults have mobility impairment in Michigan, i.e., 13% people have serious difficulty in walking and climbing stairs. A wheelchair is necessary for them as a great support to access public places.
Other Amenities Provided By Great Lakes Crossing Outlets
Great Lakes Crossing cares for the customers and provides the following amenities:
- Children’s play area: Open within the mall timing except between 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm for cleaning the play area.
- Free Wi-Fi services
- Stroller for babies and children
- Charging stations for phones and other electronic devices
- Private nursing area: The mall provides the personal lactation space
- Shopping cart
- Automated Teller Machines
For Whom Must Great Lakes Crossing Provide Wheelchairs?
A wheelchair can be a great help for a disabled person. People who have Alzheimer’s disease, amputation, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Cerebral Palsy, Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Parkinson’s Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Scoliosis, Spinal Cord Injuries, Traumatic Brain Injury, etc. use wheelchairs for support.
Apart from that, Grandparents or older adults face difficulty walking long distances also use a wheelchair. Therefore providing a wheelchair to them is very important. The accessibility of a wheelchair will enable them to spend quality time with their family or independently visit public places. Great Lakes Crossing has a minimal number of wheelchairs to provide visitors. Wheelchair services are free for the customers with a $20 returnable cash deposit.
Other Malls That Provide Wheelchairs In The Usa
Most big malls are equipped with wheelchairs for adults with mobility disabilities. Providing all the facilities to the customers should be the utmost responsibility of the management so that person does not feel discriminated against for their disability. But this is not the case in the Great Lakes Crossing Outlets and other malls in the USA, as they are providing wheelchairs. Malls should also take care of physically disabled children by providing pediatric wheelchairs.
Many malls in the USA provide wheelchair services for free or for rent. The user will get a driver’s license to avail of the service upon visiting the office. After using a wheelchair, they have to return it to the office.
- Twelve Oaks Mall, Detroit, Michigan: Provide complimentary wheelchairs, but due to Covid 19, service temporarily halted.
- Macomb Mall, Roseville, Michigan: Rental wheelchairs available
- Harford Mall, Bel Air, Maryland: Provides wheelchair free of cost. Customers need to hold a driver’s license while using it and return it after the usage.
- Circle Center Mall, Indianapolis, Indiana: Wheelchair service is free of cost. Customers have to submit their license, and they will give you a wheelchair if available. They also have a big elevator so that disabled people can move around the mall in a wheelchair.
- Mall of America, Bloomington, Minnesota: Wheelchairs provided for rent with a $25 refundable deposit. For a daily basis, the rental amount is $10.
Great Lake Crossing Outlets provide a wheelchair for disabled people and is an essential service for people with mobility disabilities. Malls should also provide other crucial infrastructure for citizens like wheelchair-friendly pavements, corridors, and entrances with anti-slip so that people can safely move around in a wheelchair. In addition, restrooms with railing to assist persons, elevators and platform lifts, flat ramps, and vestibules will help the person who uses wheelchairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the shopping hours of Great Lake Crossing Outlets?
- Monday-Tuesday 10:00 am-7:00 pm
- Friday-Saturday 10:00 am -8:00 pm
- Sunday 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Can I purchase tickets online to visit the aquarium in Great Lakes Crossing Outlets?
Answer: Yes, tickets are available online only. Customer needs to purchase tickets online in advance.