As an employee with Amazon, there are a lot of benefits you can enjoy. Amazon remains one of the largest employers of personnel in the United States. This stands to mean that the features of their workplace have to be top-notch. One of the most important considerations when applying for a position at a company is the number of leaves granted to its employees. Although there is a different kinds of leaves, there is also a limit on the number of times an employee might be given paid leaves. Let’s know Can I Use My PTO Whenever I Want Amazon?
Paid Time Off (PTO) is defined as the time you might receive your wage while you are not working. PTO is a system that companies operate to grant employees some amount of comfort in their lives. Paid time off accrues as each pay period ends. At Amazon, both workers on salaries and hourly workers can earn paid time off yearly depending on the number of hours they work. Note that workers at Amazon are not allowed to roll over paid time off. This means any paid time off that has remained unused will be forever lost.
Amazon’s Yearly Paid Time Off
Employees at Amazon are usually awarded about 20 hours of PTO yearly. This amount then increases based on the number of years spent working for the company:
- Employees on a part-time basis earn 20 hours and then depending on how much they work and remain at the company; the PTO time can increase to a maximum of 60 hours after spending at least 6 years.
- Reduced-time workers start at 30 hours of PTO which can max out at 90 hours yearly after spending at least 6 years.
- Full-time workers start at 40 hours of PTO and then can earn a maximum of 120 hours after spending at least 6 years.
PTO accumulates daily. However, eligibility requirements for PTO might vary across different locations. The PTO earned by salaried workers is a little different:
- Part-time workers on salaries are awarded 40 hours at first. This can increase to 80 hours after they have spent 6 years at Amazon.
- Reduced time workers on salaries are awarded 60 hours of PTO which can increase up to 120 hours after 6 years.
- Salaried workers on a full-time basis are awarded 80 hours of PTO which maxes out at 160 hours after 6 years.
Amazon also gives its workers personal time which is like PTO. Personal time is also granted based on the number of hours that have been spent at work. The amount of time that can be given for personal time is not dependent on how long you have spent with the company. Part-time workers get about three days of personal time while reduced-time staff gets about 36 hours of personal time. Full-time employees enjoy the most personal time at 48 hours.
Expiration of Amazon PTO
If you intend to spend some time off your Amazon job, it might be worthy to know if you could still use previous PTO that were unused. Amazon does not allow for the rollover of PTO. This means that any unused PTO is forfeited.
Amazon also gives employers the chance to use paid holidays each year. These holidays are New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Labour Day. These vacation days may not apply to those working outside the U.S. for more information, reach out to your local Amazon office to find out what days are local vacations given.
Amazon Leave of Absence Policy
Some qualified Amazon employees can take leaves due to some reasons. This depends on the region you are in and the type of employment you are on but leaves are given for significant personal events such as the birth of a child, death of a relative, military-related obligations, or jury duty. However, relevant documents are usually needed if payments are to be made.
Amazon does have paid time off for its employees. The time allotted to employees for PTO depends on the number of years of experience such an employee has with the company. Paid time off is also dependent on the region the employee currently works in. States have different PTO policies so you have to find out what your local Amazon store gives for PTO. Amazon also has unique leaves in emergencies or specific occasions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the PTO policy the same in all Amazon branches? No. Different states have the ways by which they administer their PTO policies. For example, workers in California have eligibility requirements different from those in other states to qualify for PTO.
- What is an hourly worker? These workers get paid by the number of hours they spend working for Amazon. This type of worker is unlike workers on salaries because salary workers are paid a fixed amount at the end of each month while hourly workers do not receive a uniform amount when they get paid.
- Is there a disadvantage to PTO for the company? Most companies do not accept for PTOs to accrue. This is because employees might abuse the privilege and accrue so much time.
- Does Amazon have the best PTO policy? Not really. Google offers its employees 15 days per year of PTO while Facebook grants employees 21 days.