Craigslist is an American website that provides all the rent-related details. If you are looking for any source where you can find all the details of anything you want to get on rent, then Craigslist is the solution. On Craigslist, you can find details regarding housing, rental cars, jobs, sale items, services, and community here, you can find advertisements related to all your needs. This service is started, by Craig New mark in 1995. It is working worldwide and provides all the services related to the rent system. In this article lets see how to avoid the Craigslist Rental Scams.
How to avoid scams on Craigslist?
Craigslist is the place where you can meet all your rent or sell-related needs. But as we say, there are bad with every good, so you need to be very careful while using any app, especially if the money factor is involved in it. If you want to finalize any deal then doing it personally, is a better option. While making payments use the safest mode, and do not believe in pictures only it is always advisable to do it locally. Never share your personal information unless it is necessary. You must examine it properly before finalizing the deal. It is recommended; to get thoroughly with Craigslist policies and the way of working.
Steps to be taken to prevent scams:
You must be very careful while making deals with Craigslist to ensure your safety in terms of money and for a satisfactory experience. Please follow these security steps:
- You must know Craigslist before moving forward. If you are searching for something on Craigslist then make sure it is a Craigslist site first, confirm its URL because scammers create a duplicate site to fraud people and sell such things that are not available. Secondly, make sure that Craigslist does not ask for any payment.
- It is advisable to deal locally. It is always safe to work personally, like visiting locally to finalize the deal rather than believing pictures on connecting with phones. If it is a nearby locality, then take a walk and finalize, the deal with satisfaction.
- Look carefully before finalizing the product. Before paying, examine the product carefully and go through all the good and bad of the item. It is always good to examine a product personally does not believes in pictures and statements meant for the advertisement.
- Use the safest method for payment. It is always good to make deals with cash if you are dealing locally, try to make deals at a safe place like a local police station. Always take possible safety measures while dealing with money.
- Be careful in sharing details. If you are dealing with too many personal questions that, you think make no sense, then it’s time to take aback. There is no reason for any irrelevant personal details while making a deal like asking for DOB, account number, or anything like that if you find someone asking these types of irrelevant questions, then it is necessary to think twice before finalizing the deal.
How to sense the scams?
It is necessary to sense scams to avoid any miss-happening in the future. Just be smart while making deals, don’t believe in any random scheme, and examine everything properly before paying. If you find any advertisement too good to be true avoid it immediately, avoid such advertisements which are creating a sense of emergency, or dealer is asking for money to secure a product in your name also avoid such ads which are not local, and the dealer is not ready to meet in person. Those are scams where the dealer is asking for payment in advance, and the image is miss-matched with the original product.
What are the scams that happen often?
Craigslist is the site where you can get your favorite deals within no time, but scams are the thing that needs to be the lookout for to stay safe.
- Ticket scams are the ones that happened more often on Craigslist.
- Ads that are not local and you need to pay online are the ones that are on the more fraudulent side.
- More often, people create a duplicate site to fool people.
- If someone is asking to use PAYPAL or asking transaction through PAYPAL, then you need to be careful.
- Many times people get fooled by the fake money orders and checks that use to look more sophisticated and create more scams.
- Scams are when you find any email asking for verifying the purchase, and you need to provide documents for that.
Craigslist is the web that is most suitable for people who are looking for rent-related purchases. This site offers a wide variety of deals, but it also comes with lots of scams this is the disadvantage of the site because it deals with most of the matter that includes money. To avoid scams you need to be careful and need to choose smartly.
How to know if you are, scammed?
With the certain way of working of the dealer, you can sense a scam. If they refuse to meet face to face, ask to pay via paying apps. Asking for unnecessary documents. Fake emails which are not local.
What do scammers do with phone numbers?
Scammers can step into your identity while having your phone numbers, they can easily get access to your account, and also they can have payment details. They can easily port your number, and it is needless to say that it will lead you to a big problem.
Should I give my address to Craigslist?
Craigslist always suggest never sharing your details, and sharing your address is something that comes in under the personal details category, if the scammers have your details, they can easily scam you. So it is always good to not share any, details unless it is necessary.