The modern-day has marked many renowned artists whose creations till day remain acknowledged and are either kept in museums to be seen and also appreciated by all who look upon them or auctioned. Amongst all these arts by well-renowned artists, which is the most expensive? Let’s know more about most expensive art.
Arts kept in museums are often tagged priceless and their cost can only be estimated by their previous costs or the price the museum may be willing to sell for. The most expensive art known through auction is Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi auctioned at 450 million US dollars. In the United States, the most expensive art recorded at an auction sold for 197 million US dollars and is a painting of the Portrait of Marilyn Monroe known as ‘Shot Sage Blue Marilyn’ by Andy Warhol.
Top Five Most Expensive Art recorded at Auctions.
- Salvator Mundi by Leonardo da Vinci: sold at a whopping price of 450 million US dollars in 2017, it holds the world record for the highest known price on paintings.
- Interchanged by Willem de Kooning: interchanged is an abstract oil painting, in 1955 it was sold for $4000 then climbed up to the massive sum of 300 million US dollars in 2015.
- Number 17A by Jackson Pollock: it was sold for 200 million US dollars in 2015 it is an abstract oil painting.
- Nu Couché by Amedo Modigliani: this piece is a 1917 oil painting that was sold for 170.4 million US dollars in 2015.
- No. 6 by Mark Rothko: it was painted in 1951 and in 2014 it was sold for over $140,000,000. It’s an oil painting that consists of the colors violet, green and red.
Top Most Expensive Arts Sold at Auctions in the United States.
- Shot Sage Blue Marilyn by Andy Warhol: Andy Warhol’s painting of the portrait of Marilyn Monroe was sold for 195 million at an auction.
This painting was created in 1964, he created different forms of a portrait of Marilyn Monroe that was shot in 1953 for publicity of a movie. He made five silkscreen portraits of the star all with different backgrounds. It got the title the ‘Shot Marilyns’ when Dorothy Podber drove a bullet through four of the paintings that were stacked together.
The Shot Marilyn with the blue background was sold at the price of $5000 in 1967.
The Shot Marylin with the Orange background was bought in 1988 at 17.3 million US dollars and upon the passing of its owner was bought again in 2017.
The Shot Marilyn with the red background was bought in 1989 for the price of 4.1 million US dollars, and in 1994 was resold at a lower price of 3.6 million US dollars.
The one painting of Marilyn that was not shot along with the other four had a turquoise background and was bought for the price of 80 million US dollars back in 2007.
Finally, in May this year, the Shot Sage Blue Marilyn was sold at a whopping price of 195 million US dollars setting a record for the highest bid on art made during a public sale.
- Untitled by Jean-Michel Basquiat: this piece was made in 1982. The painting depicted a skull on a blue background with different strokes of paint across it. It was first sold at $4000 in 1982 and then again at $19,000 in 1984. The artist recorded a large sum of 110.5 million in 2017. The art was made with spray paints, oil sticks, and acrylic.
- Silver Car Crash(Double Disaster) by Andy Warhol: this was a 1963 piece by the renowned Andy Warhol it was a silkscreen print mixed with silver and black paint, and it was seen that there were recurring images of car crashes some brighter than the others on canvases, and besides these recurring images was a blank canvas, the painting is about eight feet long and it sold at an auction in 2013 for 105.4 million. The painting however succeeded in relaying the message as implied by the title and the painting itself.
- Eight Elvises by Andy Warhol: this piece was made in 1963 and was a silkscreen painting of Elvis Presley, it was sold in 2008 for 100 million US dollars, the painting depicts eight images of the star Elvis Presley overlapping upon one another. Just like in the Shot Marilyns, the painting was acquired from a publicity shot of Elvis Presley for a movie, in the photo, he was dressed with a liking to the western part of the US with a belt latched across his loins whilst holding a pistol in his hands in a fight stance.
- Nurse by Roy Lichtenstein: this art was created in 1964, in 2015, it was bought at the price of 95.3 million US dollars. This was a massive step up in price from 1995 when it sold for 1.7 million US dollars. The essence of the painting was attributed to a romance novel and depicted a lady dressed as a nurse.
There is a lot of art at the museum that may be well over these, however since they are priceless, their worth can only be estimated, the most expensive artwork sold at an auction is worth $450,000,000, known as Salvator Mundi by Leonardo da Vinci, and the most expensive art sold at an auction in the United States is that of the Shot, Sage Blue Marilyn, by Andy Warhol, which sold for $195,000,000.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much would Mona Lisa sell for?
The Mona Lisa was sold in 1962 for $100,000,000, however, statistics assume it to have a modern-day price of about 900 million US dollars.
- Which museum has the most valuable art?
The Louvre is known as the world’s most visited museum, it is located in Paris, France. It is considered the museum with the most valuable art as it houses the Mona Lisa and other renowned artworks.