Internet Management Group Protocol is commonly known as IGMP Proxy. It allows and facilitates multicast routers to scan, contemplate and learn the membership information. IGMP Proxy servers serve various purposes that include- online video surfing and playing games. It allows wireless devices to work more efficiently. It offers highly configured data and advanced interfaces. Let’s learn about ‘Disable IGMP Proxying’.
How to disable IGMP proxy?
The user can decide to disable the IGMP proxy if they want the multicast traffic as broadcast transmission and send forward their information to all the connected devices on the network. Let’s read Disable IGMP Proxying.
The following steps are to be followed to disable the IGMP Proxy-
- The customer needs to visit the tab “network connection” in the menu bar of the desktop or laptop used by the customer. After which the user has to go to the local area network or LAN from the listed options.
- After selecting LAN, the user needs to select the option details and in the details, enter the IP address.
- After putting the user’s IP address, enter the router IP address into the search bar of the web browser you are using. The browser will process the information and directs the user to the setup page.
- Navigate through the bridging folder and go to the multicast menu available.
- Navigate and select the IGMP proxy option.
- The enable IGMP Proxy status option has been checked there. The user needs to uncheck the enable IGMP Proxy status option.
- After the enable IGMP Proxy status is unchecked, click on the apply option and you will be disconnected from the IGMP proxy.
Enabling IGMP proxy
After following the above steps, the user will be able to successfully disable the IGMP proxy. But If the user wants to turn it on anytime in the future, the user needs to follow the same steps that are mentioned above. However, the user can also go to the Multicast Menu and check the IGMP box instead of following the last step.
Should the proxy server be switched off?
Benefits of enabling a proxy server
When the user disables the IGMP proxy, all the multicast traffic will be treated as broadcast transmission. It will send information to every connected device which is connected to the network. But when the IGMP proxy is enabled, the data is only sent to the particular multicast group. The transmission of the data varies with the information provided to the device. The IGMP proxy helps in converting the multicast traffic into unicast traffic. Therefore the wireless device will work more efficiently. IGMP proxy gives numerous benefits to the users that include-
- All the relevant information, regarding one membership group, will be delivered directly to that membership group.
- If any hosts leave the multicast group, then the report of such unsought leave is sent directly to the router group.
- If any unknown host irrespective of the already existing group of hosts joins the network. The report of such joining is sent to the central group. On such information, the users may decide to disable the IGMP proxy server as per their requirements.
- It enables the user to use the streaming services for an additional period.
- It also tackles well the mirroring issues in the network.
Although enabling or disabling the IGMP proxy server is always the choice of the user, it is recommended to the users, that they enable their IGMP proxy server all the time to get all the benefits mentioned above. But if, after considering all the pros the user decides not to get any of these benefits and wants to disable their IGMP proxy servers, they can easily disable the proxy servers. The user must disable the proxy server if they don’t want to get the benefits. Because otherwise, the central router will continue to monitor the multicast transmission into the unicast transmission. Also, it will incur power consumption even if the user does not require its function.
Now we’ve learnt about ‘Disable IGMP Proxying’, Internet Management Group Protocol is commonly known as IGMP. It allows and facilitates multicast routers to scan, contemplate and learn the membership information. IGMP proxy serves various purposes that include online video streaming and playing games. The IGMP proxy is recommended to be enabled all the time for the best user experience because when the IGMP proxy is disabled, all the multicast traffic on the network will be treated as broadcast transmission. It will send information to every connected device which is associated with the network. But when the IGMP proxy is enabled the data is only sent to the particular multicast group. The transmission of the data varies with the information provided to the device. The IGMP proxy helps in converting the multicast traffic into unicast traffic. Therefore the wireless device will work more efficiently. If the customer wants to disable their proxy server, even after considering all the benefits, they can disable their servers by following a few steps.
- Is the IGMP proxy worth it?
IGMP proxy helps the router to create multicast group membership.