Saving money on groceries can be a challenge for a lot of people. They either don’t know where to start or think spending less money or buying fewer groceries is the only option. Here we will see about Tips Saving on Groceries at Walmart
The amount of money that you spend on groceries indicates the amount of money you have left for other things.
Here are some tips you can use to saving on groceries at Walmart:
- Use a budget to track your grocery expenses.
- Every little bit counts – Don’t waste food.
- Buy generic instead of brand named. There is not much difference in taste or quality.
- Cook in large batches and store the rest in the freezer. Only take the portion you want to eat and microwave it.
- When buying pre-cut fruits or veggies, it should be something hard to cut by yourself like pomegranate or coconut, not apples or strawberries.
- Go shop-hopping regularly – This is when you go to a different grocery store to compare different prices. Then you go for the most affordable.
- Always Cook Your Meals – Cook the food you eat as much as you can. The time difference isn’t much and if you cook in large quantities, you don’t have to cook all the time. You will also be eliminating a lot of chemicals and preservatives from fast food or canned food and you’ll feel better about yourself.
If you are just starting with cooking your meals and you still want to eat out. You can say “for every ten meals I eat, I’ll only eat out once or twice and I’ll cook the rest.” It will help you a lot.
- Out of sight is out of mind. So make sure you use all sections in your fridge. Clean it out from time to time and you will be surprised that you still have a lot of stuff in there when you can’t find anything to eat.
- Don’t go grocery shopping hungry. You will end up buying things that you don’t need. Always go on a full stomach.
- Use coupons.
- Process(cut) your meat. You can cut them into smaller pieces.
- Shop in bulk. The more times you go grocery shopping, the more you will buy the stuff you don’t need.
- Eat until your fridge is almost empty. Always think of something you can make with what you have in your fridge.
- Get stuff when they are on sale. This will help you because you’ll be buying them at discounted prices.
- Always have a shopping list. Make a list of all the items you want to buy before you go shopping. This will help you not to forget anything so that you don’t have to go twice and waste gas and also so that you don’t overspend and buy stuff that you don’t need.
- Meal Plan – Planning your meals will help save money and time. Plan at least five meals every week and buy groceries according to the ingredients for these meals.
It is one thing to be able to save on groceries, it is another thing to be able to preserve the groceries you buy. You don’t want your food going to waste because you didn’t keep or preserve them well. Remember, not everything needs to go into the fridge or freezer. Here are some ways to preserve your foods:
- Don’t refrigerate cucumbers. They’ll get mushy in like 3 days. Place them in a plastic bag, poke holes and place them in a cool dry place in the kitchen.
- Keep apples, lime, and kiwis separate from each other.
- Put chili peppers and jalapeños in a Ziploc or plastic bag. Poke holes and put them in the fridge.
- Keep ginger and lemon in the freezer.
- To preserve herbs, dip a paper towel in water, squeeze out the water, put the herbs in the paper towel, and roll it up. Then put it in a Ziploc bag and place it in the freezer.
- Keep potatoes in a cool dry place. Never in the freezer.
- To preserve bananas, wrap the top with plastic wrap and put it in a bowl.
- Wrap lettuce in foil and put it in the freezer.
- Don’t put onions, shallot, and garlic in the freezer. Keep them in a cool dry place.
- Wrap carrots in a wet paper towel then place them in a Ziploc bag and the freezer.
- Store strawberries in a mason jar and the fridge.
- Place spring onions in a glass of water or plant them in soil. Trim them when needed, and they will regrow.
- Wrap celery tightly in foil and keep them in the fridge.
- To store spinach, line an airtight container with a paper towel. Put the spinach in it. Close it and keep it in the fridge.
- Put limes in Ziploc bags and the fridge.
Saving money on groceries can take some effort. You have to make it a habit. Try as much as possible to stick with the plans you make. Remind yourself of the reason why you want to cut back on groceries. To save? To buy a new house or go for a vacation? Reminding yourself of these reasons will help you in the long run.