The major US Stock Markets are the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), which is the world’s largest stock market, and the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation (Nasdaq) Stock Market, both of which are based in New York. The New York Stock Market is located in lower Manhattan, New York on 11 Wall Street and 18 Broad Street, and the headquarters building is called New York Stock Market building. Let us know about that the Stock Market Hours New Years Eve.
The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq Stock Market are open on New Year’s Eve and are fully functional for the whole day of the trading session. The employees of the New York Stock Exchange have to work regular hours but the bond markets will close at 2:00 pm on New Year’s Eve. The markets do not operate on New Year’s Day.
U.S. Stock Markets
The New York Stock Exchange, the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation Stock Market, and all other smaller exchanges operate similarly to the schedule of the US Federal Government. The hours of the NYSE and the Nasdaq are mentioned in the 9000-page document governing the stock market. Trading takes place in the US Stock Markets from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm on Monday to Friday and no trading takes place on the weekends.
There are bells installed in each of the four main sections of the NYSE building for the opening and the closing of the trading, and all these bells ring at the same time. The opening bell rings at 9:30 am ET and the closing bell rings at 4:00 pm ET.
Holidays Observed By The US Stock Markets
The US stock market does not operate on New Year’s Day. According to the US government rules, when the Exchange observes a holiday on Saturday, it will not be open on the preceding day i.e. Friday, and if the holiday falls on Sunday, it will not be open on the next day i.e. Monday, unless unusual business conditions exist such as the month end or yearly quarter’s end.
If New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday, the US stock market will remain closed the next Monday, which will happen on January 02, 2023. The other holidays observed by the US stock market are
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Black Friday (closes early at 1:00 pm), and
- Christmas on December 26
Various Other US Stock Exchanges
The main three US stock exchanges include the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation (NASDAQ), and the American Stock Exchange (AMEX). Other stock exchanges are:
- Chicago Stock Exchange (CHX)
- Boston Stock Exchange (BSE)
- Miami Stock Exchange (MS4X)
- National Stock Exchange (NSX)
- Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE)
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME)
- Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT)
- International Securities Exchange (ISE)
- Philadelphia Stock Exchange (PHLX)
Some Additional Information on US Stock Market
- The pre-market trading hours are from 4:00 am to 9:30 am for New York Stock Exchange, and 8:00 am to 9:30 am for the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation (Nasdaq)
- The after-hour trading hours are from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm for NYSE, and from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm for Nasdaq
- US stock exchanges close early at 1:00 pm on the day before Independence Day, on Black Friday, and on Christmas Eve if it falls on a weekday.
- The best trading months are from September to December, and the worst trading months are from June to August.
Best US Stocks To Invest In August 2022
The best US stocks to invest in now are United States Steel Corp., NRG Energy Inc., Cleveland Cliff’s Inc., Azenta Inc, eBay Inc., Coterra Energy Inc., Marathon Oil Corp., CF Industries Holdings Inc., Devon Energy Corp., Continental Resources Inc., McKesson Corp., Occidental Petroleum Corp., and Russel 1000.
Laws That Govern The US Stock Market
The Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 govern the United States securities regulation and cover transactions and other dealing activities.
The major US stock exchanges are NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX. The New York State Exchange is famously the world’s largest stock exchange. The US stock market is operational on New Year’s Eve but not open on New Year’s Day. There are several other holidays observed by the US stock market and also closed on all weekends.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the value of the US stock market?
The value of the US stock market is around $5.17 trillion.
- Are the holidays observed by NYSE and NASDAQ the same?
Yes, both NYSE and Nasdaq have the same holidays.
- What is a bond market?
A bond market is a financial marketplace where one can buy and sell debt securities in the form of notes, bills, etc.